Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Figuring Out Funds

I've been doing a lot of finance writing lately. It's something I actually enjoy. Economics fascinate me, and as a self-proclaimed frugality maven, I enjoy thinking about better ways to use and save money.

As I approach my mid 40's, I can't help but think about the future. I realize I have no money saved. I'm not unique in this situation. Most Americans have only enough money to last them 2 years for retirement. It's a scary thought. And while I'm not above relying on my children to support me in my older years, I'd like to be able to be a bit better prepared. 

I've been blathering on lately about simple living, doing with less, et cetera. I'm beginning to see that this lifestyle choice may help me with this's retirement quandary. First of all, by spending less, I can save more. I have a a goal in mind of what I want to save this year. Second, living with less is both sensible and prepetory for a time when I may not have a choice in the matter. And, third, as much as I would like stability, and security, I realize it may be elusive. I'm preparing myself for this possibility. 

My goals right now are simple: get out of debt, live simply, save money, have an adventure or two along the way, be happy. It's my vision for a simple but lovely life. Financial security would be great, but I need to be ready in case it doesn't happen.

And if it does happen, and a windfall happens upon me, I need to be especially mindful of my choices. I was never a frivolous person to begin with, but it doesn't mean I shouldn't reign it in. Now is the time to make wise choices. 

No comments: