Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Occupations

I started a new job today. It's not a fancy job, or one that has a lot of responsibility, but the views are pretty nice.  I've been back in California for a little more than a week and things are moving along at a brisk pace. With the help of friends, I have enough work to keep me busy and fed. It's different work, not professional, and I honestly don't mind a bit.

At present I have three jobs. Just few days after my return, I jumped into the festival season. I work for a small security company that specializes in festival culture. We go, we camp, we check wrist bands, work the gate, and watch for trouble. It's not a bad way to spend the weekend, and often there's good music too.



Today, I started my Ferry gig. Basically, I float about on one of the boats that goes to and fro, working at the concession on board. I open a lot of beer, and serve coffee mostly. It's mellow, the view is nice, I can totally get into it.

And a week from today, I will start my third job, as a prep cook at an east bay restaurant. This job is probably the one I'm most excited about. Though I haven't worked in a kitchen for many years, I know it's a place I'm comfortable, and I trust that I will find my rhythm once I'm there. 

In the Bay Area it's not uncommon for people to start a conversation with, "What do you do?" And often, the answer is something cool, or techie, or creative or awesome.  I don't think I can say any of my current occupations fall into those categories, but I'm OK with that. I'm good with what life is bringing me right now. I'm not exceptionally concerned about my future, because I know that at some point I'll end up in a good place. 

Hell, I'm in a good place right now. I'm getting paid to cruise the San Francisco Bay. It could be worse. 

No comments: