Saturday, January 31, 2009

A walk in the park

I lied. the other thing I've been missing at my new digs is my dog. She comes to visit me two or three times a week, but I miss our hikes. I'm sure she does too.

I took Jada for a walk in the park near my parents house today. It was a beautiful day, and the meadow was calm and quiet. I use to play in this place when I was a kid. It hasn't really changed that much. The property owners whose yards we use to cut through to get to the park all have fences now. The giant play structure with it's multiple slides is gone. But it still feels the same. It's still an interesting and magical place.

There is an almost pungent perfumed smell that comes from trees that bloom with bright yellow flowers. That scent is layered with the scent of Eucalyptus that comes from the adjacent grove. As a kid, I can remember walking into that forest to a chorus of birds. They chirped wildly chattering back and forth. Below the chirping, an owl would hoot methodically.

We imagined great things in that forest. We told each other stories of fairies, and ancient spirits. We caught frogs and polliwogs and collected feathers. Later when we were teenagers and we went there to do the things teenagers do, we still appreciated the magic of that place. We laid on hills and watched sunlight fall through the trees appreciating the serenity that it offered.

One of the great things about living in the place where you grew up is being reminded of these things. There's an entire study that focuses on memory of space. This space for me is not just a place I played. It's a space that preserves our memories, our emotions, and our adventures. Everyone should be so lucky to have such a place.

No comments: