Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year!

Yes, it's a new year. This is the year we inaugurate our first President of color. One of the things I usually hate about the week between Christmas and New Year, is the inevitable retrospectives on television and in print. This season was the exception. Reliving President-Elect Obama's victory over and over again on various news programs never got old, and never ceased to make me misty. His election is the event that I hope defines many generations to come. And the exuberance of that moment will be something I will always cherish.

And, I can't help but feel hopeful. Even though the economy is tanking, jobs are harder to come by, and an endless war rages in the Holy Land, I feel like things are about to happen. Great things. Amazing things. Things that we knew could happen but were not brave enough to make happen. I think that's what I always hope for...the ability to do really brave things.

Speaking of brave things, this will also be the year I blow off my 20th class reunion. Nobody liked me in high school anyway. Of course, that won't keep me from trying to loose 40 pounds by summer just in case I decide to change my mind.

So here's to a new year, a new president and hope for the opportunity to be brave.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute- I liked you in high school and thought you were cool Clare. :) Can't say much for some of our other classmates- but gosh I hope some of them have grown up by now and have a different attitude! Enjoyed reading your blog and hope to catch you on the ferry sometime!

-Chelle B.